1) What Is CLR ?
CLR is Common Language Runtime is the runtime that converts a MSIL code into the host machine language code. It is the execution engine for .NET Framework applications. It provides a number of services, including:
- Code management (loading and execution)
- Memory Management
- Thread Management
- Conversion of IL to native code.
- Access to metadata (enhanced type information)
- Managing memory for managed objects (Garbage collection)
- Enforcement of code access security (Security Management)
- Exception handling, including cross-language exceptions
- Interoperation btw managed code, COM objects, and pre-existing DLL’s (unmanaged code and data)
- Support for developer services (profiling, debugging, and so on).
- Type safety.
2) What is an Intermediate Language?
Intermediate Language(IL) Or (CIL) Common Intermediate Language Or (MSIL) Microsoft Intermediate Language, is one of the Core component of the .NET Framework. Any .NET source codes written in any .net supportive language (C#,VB.net etc), when compiled are converted to MSIL. This MSIL, when installed or at the Runtime, gets converted to machine code. The Runtime conversion of MSIL code to the machine code is handled by a component called as the Just In Time (JIT) Compiler.
3 ) What is CTS?
CTS is Common Type System, which describes how types are declared, used and managed. CTS facilitate cross-language integration, type safety, and high performance code execution.